AXA wants you to be Stronger in Pink
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and AXA is offering education on the importance of self-check as well as free mammogram testing* to its insured female members at various hospitals and healthcare clinics. By being aware of the warning signs and understanding the importance of self-examination, women can reduce their risk and maintain a healthy and carefree lifestyle.
Did you know?
- Breast cancer can develop at any age, but risk increases as you get older.
- Thousands of women find out that they’re the first ones in their family to be diagnosed.
- A mammography procedure takes about 20 minutes. It takes longer to get a manicure!
- If you find a lump – don't panic! 8 out of 10 lumps are not cancerous. For additional peace of mind, call your doctor whenever you have concerns.
How to do a self-checkup?
The best time to do a breast self-exam is a few days after your monthly menstrual cycle ends. Women who do not menstruate should choose a certain day to perform the exam, such as the first of each month. Below are the steps to perform a self-checkup:
Step 1: Begin by looking at your breasts in the mirror, here’s what you should look for:
- Dimpling, puckering or bulging of the skin.
- A nipple that has changed position or an inverted nipple.
- Redness, soreness, rash or swelling.
Step 2: You should also raise your arms and look for the same changes.
Step 3: At the mirror, look for any fluid leaking from one or both nipples.
Step 4: Lying down, use the right hand to feel the left breast and the left to feel the right breast.
- Check the breast from top to bottom, side to side.
- From your collarbone to the top of your abdomen, from your armpit to your cleavage.
Step 5: Check your entire breast, using the same hand movements described in Step 4, just sitting or standing.
What is a mammogram?
Mammography is the process of using low-energy X-rays to examine the human breast for diagnosis and screening. The goal of mammography is to ensure there are no abnormalities for the early detection of breast cancer.
Ready to take action?
Awareness and proactivity are women’s best defense against breast cancer.
Book your appointment now at the following partner locations:
Validity of Voucher
800 444 444
Month of October
Star/star plus Category
ZH Sharjah/ ZH Dubai/ Zulekha Medical Center - Qusais
October 30th to November 2018
*Female insured members aged 40 and above are eligible for this offer.